This extension changes your new tab page so that scenes from Makoto Shinkai’s movies can play as seamless, looping cinemagraphs in the background, while your new tab page becomes a functional dashboard with different widgets and tools to help your productivity.
The movies included are:
- Kimi no Na Wa (Your Name)
- Byousoku 5 Centimeter (5cm/s)
- Kotonoha no Niwa (Garden of Words)
Get the extension here:
How to use:
- Install the extension
- Open a new tab
- That’s it!
- Drag to move the clock
- Click once to switch between standard 12hr and 24hr time
- Shows the info about the current background shown
- Click to show different information and in a different style
- Type in the “New Item” box and press Enter to enter a new item
- Press enter while editing a list item to create a new list item below
- Press backspace on any empty list item to delete it
- Left click on items to edit them
- Click on the x next to the item to delete it
- Right click on the item to cross them off
- Drag and drop the item to reorder the list
- Drag the top of the list (where it says “todo list”) to move the widget
- Drag from the top of the search bar to move it
- Type in the box and press enter to perform a Google search
- Move the mouse to the left most part of the window to access the menu.
- Each switch in Widgets enables/disables respective widgets
- Each switch in Background enables/disables the respective source of images
- Effects: see effects
- ❤ Button: Add or remove the current background to favorites
- 🗑️ Button: Remove this background (won’t show this background again)
- Reset Button: resets the extension, wiping all data and restarts it (use this option when the widget is lost off-screen somehow)
- About Button: see information regarding the extension
- Report background: used to report a broken/low quality background
- Brightness: adjust the brightness of the background
- Saturation: adjust the saturation (how colorful) of the background
- Contrast: adjust the contrast of the background
- Blur: adjust the blur of the background (default is no blur)
- Move the mouse to the right most part of the window to access bookmarks.
- Folders are drop-down-styled, click on them to see contents
- Storage: To store the data relating to preferences and widgets
- Bookmark: To show the bookmarks on the right hand side tab
The background doesn’t show up
Make sure you are connected to the internet, and have a stable connection! If the problem persists, you can report the background via the about button.
My newtab isn’t being replaced
Make sure you disable other similar extensions that also replaces your new tabs
My screen resolution changed and now my widgets are lost off-screen. How do I get them back?
You can reset the widget locations using the reset button in the menu
I accidentally removed a background I like, how do I get it back?
You can reset the removed backgrounds using the reset button in the menu
I encountered a bug/I have a suggestion!
You can tell me about it using the about button in the menu!
Disclaimer: I do not own any of the artwork or cinemagraphs used in this extension. Credit goes to their respective owner (anime stuio/publisher) and original poster cyan1618 on Imgur. If you have a copyright problem with any of the backgrounds, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
The project is free and open-sourced, you can check it out here. I don’t collect any user data nor profit; this extension does need to be online to work though (to load the backgrounds, as it does not download them).
Please report bugs to email@example.com.
If you like this project and would like to buy me a ~coffee~pepsi you can do so here.
1.7.3 Updated library versions 1.7.2 Small bug fix regarding the About button and Support page functions 1.7.1 Renamed to Shinkai's Newtab, added new functions and support page 1.6.2 Todo list rework 1.6.1 Todo list new functions: reordering and editing 1.6.0 Revamped background filter effects system 1.5.1 Button bug fixes, dynamic menu bugfixes 1.5.0 Added updated menu and bookmarks panel 1.4.3 Bug fixes, menu now scrollable, slight font adjustments 1.4.1 Bug fixes, Added animations for widgets, Background changes 1.4.0 Original Release: Garden of Words Newtab